Saturday, June 10, 2017

Humming along

So today marked the first day of my bike being legal to ride. From purchase to now has been over 2 months but the wait is finally over. Had to wait a month before I could get it all registered and plated - as I had to do it all myself! - but that's for another post. Today is about the first rides!

So I screwed in the plates and was road legal. Don't forget that even though the road tax is free you still need to set it up. My first rides were around the small block by my house and the first thing that struck me was how quiet it was! Wow. I'd done a test of the motor on the stand to make sure all was working and loved the little hum it did but when you ride and have your helmet on you just hear the wind and the tyres on the road - no engine noise at all!

My first ride was a combination of the exhilaration of riding an electric coupled with the thrill of riding at all as I have never ridden a motorcycle or a scooter ever. My CBT a few weeks ago was my first experience and I had to try hard to remember what the instructor had said as it was quite a while ago. Life savers are not instinctive yet but I keep reminding myself at every opportunity. I didn't need the training but I am so glad I did. When you're out on the road all by yourself you start to remember the key points and the 2 hours of driving really helps prepare you for it all. One thing I really need to remember is to cancel my indicators, but this is not so easy as the bike has a 3 position switch rather than the click and push kind so it a real pain to cancel without looking down.

I should explain my reasons for getting an electric scooter. I live in Bristol which is an area with very poor traffic problems. Even using my car was a pain and so I wanted a better option for commuting. I am very environmentally conscientious and so wanted a better solution than the car. I have been using the buses for over 4 months and, whilst they are better for the environment, they made my commute around 1:15 and I have a rule that I don't want my commute to be over an hour. I believe in a healthy work life balance and so wanted a better solution. Hence the bike. And as a bonus my electricity at home is 100% renewables and so I am truly riding carbon free!

So a highlight from my first ride was a nod from a fellow scooter rider. I know its a simple thing but it feels like its that start of my membership into a club. I didn't come to this as a bike enthusiast and in fact see them as a means to an end. I don't think you should be on the road to have fun. If you are then you're not focused, you're not safe and not safe for others. But I hope that fellow scooter drivers will have a similar attitude as they are not generally powerful bikes and so you pick them for different reasons. I'm of course not talking about the young riders where its all they can afford but as I'm in the older age range (40+) then I think similarly aged people will have the same approach to them. But I'm eager to hear from fellow riders and their experiences.

I also got two people who asked me if it was electric. I must admit I do like this as I like the idea of being an ambassador to the cause. I really hope that others will follow my lead, albeit not with my particular bike. There are many bad design choices on it that mean I would be reluctant to recommend it but these might be less important to others. I will use it more before I give further opinions so they are better rounded.

But all in all it was a good first day. It manages hills as well as a basic scooter and could generally keep up with traffic. And the silence is wonderful - found myself humming at one point!

No comments:

Post a Comment