Wednesday, July 5, 2017

License to ride

The buying process for my E-Rider Moda 30 was probably one of the most painful purchasing experiences I've had, and I've bought a house before! I think the problems lie in the expectations you have when purchasing a bike - you expect to be able to ride it!

As this is a new bike and bought from a small online retailer it transpired that the vehicle wasn't registered when it arrived and so I was unable to use it for a month after delivery. I had to order the registration form online and wait almost 2 weeks for it to arrive (why it wasn't downloadable in this modern age is beyond me) and then I also had to contact the seller as they had delivered the wrong documentation with the bike. Check VIN and engine numbers very carefully if you are registering yourself or else you'll probably have real problems down the line. Luckily I noticed that the documentation didn't match and got the new details before I registered. Had I not noticed that it would have taken even longer. Luckily the registration was actually quicker than their estimate and so I got it registered within a month.

Getting it registered within the month was actually very important.  When I received the bike I had to get it insured so if it was stolen I would be covered - is parked on the street. Some insurers won't insure without a number plate and some that do only do it for 2 weeks. Luckily the one I finally found would insure with the VIN number and had a 1 month grace period. Even then I got right to the end of that period and the company then told me that they no longer insure from VIN's only and so I couldn't have re-insured it with them. There seems to be a big disconnect between the registration process and the insurance companies which really needs to be addressed. I know people don't usually register their own vehicle but if we want to encourage new companies to start selling in this new eco market then this should really be made easier. Most governments want to encourage electric vehicles and so they should really help to make the process much easier. At least I don't have to pay for my road tax, which is a clear indication of their promising intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment